Green Card for Children Lawyer NYC

Green Card for Children Lawyer NYC | Feiner & Lavy Law Firm

As a permanent resident of the United States, a green card holder may petition for certain family members to live in the United States as permanent residents. A permanent resident may petition for a green card for their spouse, any unmarried children under the age of 21, and unmarried sons or daughters of any age.

If you are a permanent resident of the United States and are wondering how to help your children obtain green cards, a Green Card for Children Lawyer NYC may be able to help.

How Can I Obtain a Green Card for My Child?

There are a few steps you will need to take in order to get a green card for your child. First, you will need to file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. You will also need to provide proof of your status to show that you are a permanent resident.

Additionally, you will also need to submit evidence of your relationship to your children, such as a birth certificate or other valid documentation. If there has been a legal name change for either you or your child, you will also need to provide sufficient documentation of the change. Documentation of a name change can include things like marriage certificates and court documents showing the legal name change.

There may be special conditions that apply if you or your child is in the United States military. When you hire a Green Card for Children Lawyer NYC, he or she can help you determine what special conditions apply in your case, if any.

What Do I Need to Know After I Filed Form I-130 and Obtained Approval?

After you file Form I-130 and your petition is approved, it is important to remember that the approved petition does not automatically mean that your child will be immediately issued a green card. The visa petition is only used in order to demonstrate a qualifying relationship between you and your child, to show that they are eligible to obtain a green card based on that relationship.

It does, however, create a place in line for your child for visa processing. As you get started with the process, keep in mind that visa processing can take a long time, depending on the different factors involved in your particular case.

Visa processing is done both in order of preference categories and the filing date of the petition. It is also done based on the current demand, as well as the country the child will be immigrating from. There are only a certain number of visas available at any given time. Your Green Card for Children Lawyer NYC will be able to help you understand this process and provide advice regarding the current status of your child’s case.

What Are the Next Steps After Submitting a Form I-130 Petition?

The next steps in this process depend on a few different factors. If your child is already legally in the United States, then once the petition is approved, he or she may apply to adjust status to become a permanent resident and receive a green card when a visa number becomes available. This can be done by submitting Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.

If your child is currently outside of the United States, then your petition will be forwarded to the National Visa Center. The National Visa Center will forward the petition to the appropriate U.S. consulate once a visa becomes available. Your child will then receive a notification with instructions regarding how to proceed. This process is called Consular Processing.

Immigrant visa numbers are awarded, in part, based on what preference category for a visa that person falls into. Your child’s preference category is one of the major factors that will determine how long they have to wait to receive an immigrant visa number. Once the Form I-130 petition is filed, it is possible to check the status online to view any progress.

What Are the Preference Categories for Obtaining a Visa?

When you petition for a relative to become a permanent resident, there are four main preference categories that apply for issuing visas. The first preference category is for unmarried, adult sons and daughters of United States citizens.

The next preference category (2A) is for the spouses of green card holders and any unmarried children under the age of 21 of permanent residents. Also grouped into this second category, the next tier (2B) is for unmarried adult sons and daughters of permanent residents. The third category is for married sons and daughters of any age of United States citizens.

Finally, the fourth preference category is for brothers and sisters of adult United States citizens. A visa will become available to a preference category according to the priority date in connection with the filing of the Form I-130 petition.

Do I Need to Hire A Green Card for Children Lawyer NYC?

If you are a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident and are looking into petitioning for a green card for your child, it can be extremely helpful to hire a Green Card for Children Lawyer NYC. A lawyer experienced in this area will be able to help guide you through the process of filing Form I-130 and the next stages of the process. Hiring a Green Card for Children Lawyer NYC can help you give yourself and your child the best chance at a favorable outcome since your lawyer will understand the process and help you to make sure that you include all of the necessary documents to gain approval for your petition.

The lawyers at Feiner and Lavy, P.C. have successfully helped many individuals seeking green cards for their children and other family members. Our attorneys have many years of experience navigating the many different aspects of immigration law.

We are dedicated to the needs of our clients, and we work hard to obtain favorable results. Contact our office today to schedule a consultation to meet with one of our lawyers to get started with the process of petitioning for a green card for your child.

Frequently asked questions:

**This is general information and is NOT intended to provide legal advice.