Expiring I-551 Green Cards

Expired Green Card Lawyer NYC | Feiner & Lavy Law Firm

Expiring I-551 Green Cards

A green card (or form I-551 as it is officially called) proves that you are a permanent resident in the United States. It is an important document to have and keep current, as, without it, you may be blocked from coming back into the country should you leave for any reason. Today, green cards expire after 10 years. If you fail to renew your green card before the expiration date, you are considered to be illegally living and working in the U.S. It is to your benefit to renew your green card at least six months before its expiration, to avoid any potential legal difficulties. If your green card has already expired, it is recommended that you consult with a New York City immigration attorney who can help you establish your legal options.

Feiner & Lavy, Attorney at Law has over 40 years of experience in immigration law and has helped many people renew and obtain green cards for lawful residency in the United States. Our firm is available to assist you in any matter related to your green card, including applying for a new copy before your current card expires, or representing you in the event that the expiration date has already passed. Our goal is to make sure that your residency documentation is fully in order so that you can continue to live and work as a permanent U.S. citizen.

Green Card Restrictions

If you possess a green card that is only valid for two years, it is important that you file to have the time restriction removed before the card expires. The petition must be filed 90 days before the card’s expiration date. If the petition is approved, your card will be in force for another 10 years before a renewal becomes necessary. If you possess a green card with no expiration date, it is likely that you have a very old version of the card with may be invalid. You will need to apply for a new card to replace it.

Contact a New York City immigration lawyer who can assist you in applying for a renewal of your form I-551 green card.

Frequently asked questions:

**This is general information and is NOT intended to provide legal advice.