New York City Naturalization Attorney
The Process of Naturalization
At Feiner & Lavy P.C., Attorneys at Law, we take pride in helping people become U.S. citizens through the process of naturalization. Over the past 4 decades, our lawyers have been tireless in their devotion to customer service and offering reasonable fees so that individuals from all walks of life can have their opportunity to be granted citizenship. Attorneys in our firm speak 4 languages, English, Hebrew, Arabic and Spanish in order to better serve our clients and make their time with us easier and more comfortable.
Naturalization starts with a knowledgeable New York City immigration lawyer from our firm meeting you, understanding your immigration status and ensuring that you are eligible to become a U.S. citizen. There are many ways that an individual can be naturalized but the most routine is when a permanent resident makes their application after possessing their green card for a period of 5 years. If that describes your situation, the additional requirements you must meet include:
- You have to be able to read, write and speak English
- Must have good moral character
- Cannot have criminal arrests
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Need to know and understand U.S. history and government
- From the time you apply for naturalization until it is granted, you have to reside continuously in the U.S.
- Aside from having your green card for 5 years, you must be present in the U.S. for a minimum of 30 months out of those 5 years
- You cannot make another country your permanent home while you are a permanent resident of the U.S.
- You must pledge your allegiance to the United States and accept the principles set forth in the U.S. Constitution.
Other avenues to achieve citizenship include if you are a green card holder married to a U.S. citizen, a green card holder in the military or seek citizenship through your parents. No matter the path that is best for you, the process can be long and complex. Through our firm’s actions, we hope to make the procedure understandable while aggressively pursuing U.S. citizenship on your behalf. Although becoming a citizen can be very time consuming, the rights, privileges and benefits you will gain make the effort very worthwhile.
To learn how to become a U.S. citizen and to be assisted through the process, contact a New York City naturalization attorney at our firm.